- August 2017 (4)
- July 2017 (9)
- April 2017 (1)
- February 2017 (2)
- December 2016 (1)
- November 2016 (2)
- October 2016 (2)
- September 2016 (2)
- August 2016 (3)
- July 2016 (5)
- June 2016 (8)
- May 2016 (8)
- April 2016 (3)
- March 2016 (1)
- February 2016 (1)
- January 2016 (1)
- December 2015 (2)
- November 2015 (2)
- October 2015 (1)
- September 2015 (1)
Tag Archives: Rustic Pipe Shelves
On our first day of our laundry room makeover I posted here about taking down the upper wall cabinets. They were still in very good condition but dated, and simply just not our style. My thought process on replacing large cupboards with shelves was that 1) the room is small at 5′ 10″ square and the original cabinets were huge and heavy and overwhelming for such a small space, it felt claustrophobic; and 2) with the garage having tons of storage and only two steps away, there really wasn’t any need to have two gargantuan cupboards. So down they came.
For our DIY rustic shelves with an industrial touch, we started with #1 and #2 pine from our local hardware store. For a bit more info on wood grades checkout my post here. First Aaron took all the measurements and made all the necessary cuts. Then I sanded each board down on every side….
We had picked out a different shade of stain, to stand out from the wood trim we already installed in the room – didn’t want it too matchy-matchy, which means we also didn’t distress this wood like we did with the trim. We chose ‘Early American’ by Varathane. I must admit, I was a bit skeptical about the color at first, but it turned out to be the perfect rustic brown.
Aren’t they pretty?!!!! Love how it really highlights the knots and natural grain of the wood.
As with any shelves, if they’re going to be bearing any sort of weight, they really should be fastened to the studs in the wall. In our laundry room however, the studs didn’t line up with our shelving brackets we made. To accommodate this, we made a back piece of wood that gets screwed into the studs, then we attached our shelving brackets to that, this way we still have the strength of the studs, but can then place our brackets wherever we want them….
Because this piece needs to be the main anchor to the wall studs, Aaron doubled the screws, hitting all the studs across the wall….
Finally, we assembled the brackets, which me made out of pipe, pipe flanges and elbows, attached them to the support piece, and topped it off with the actual shelf….
And here is what they look like….
Aaron made an extra bar for hangers for air drying delicates above the dryer….
And of course a before and after photo….
Over the last few posts you may have noticed that we haven’t done anything to the ceiling, well, other than get wall paint on it. I wanted to do something a bit special and different up there….coming up: taking ‘faux’ to a whole new level! (pun intended) 😉